Origins
 
While the exact events leading to the creation of the Andover Sportmen's Club in 1943 are lost to history, it is clear that a number of locals had been meeting informally at the Gasper Cabin (a cabin on the Gasper farm on Hebron Road) regularly to socialize, shoot trap, and discuss world events.  
 
What is known for sure is that on June 23, 1943, the State of Connecticut formally recognized "The Andover Sportmen Club, Incorporated" as a legal non-stock corporation.  The club's first President was John Gasper.  Most of the information I have uncovered about the club in the 1940's comes from the Democratic Town Committee - World War II newsletters ( a locally produced newsletter that was sent to all Andover men and women severing in the armed services during WWII to keep them abreast of what was happening in their home town).  The very first issue, June 28, 1943, announced the new club's objective as "Better hunting and fishing" in town.  I suspect that while better hunting and fishing were the stated goals, the social aspect of the group was equally important, as it still is today, for in the same newsletter it was announced that the Sportmen Club and the Fire Dept. Association threw a joint barbecue at the Gasper Cabin.  The report reads "A lamb and sixteen chickens, along with assorted salads, rolls and two kegs of beer cheered the beings of some 56 men.  A double-header softball game, with tackling and interference the main features of the game, could be heard as far as Hartford   ... and one bicycle that arrived by manpower had to be taken home by truck."  Early meetings were generally split between discussing hunting and fishing issues such as stocking the local streams, and hearing about the experiences of the soldiers home on leave, like when Clarence Savage gave a talk on salvage operations at Pearl Harbor.  Throughout the remainder of the 1940's, the club continued to use the Gasper Cabin as their base of operations.  
  
First Land Purchase
 
By the end of 1948, the club decided that it was time to acquire its own land for hunting and the erection of a club house.  One of the parcels that interested the club was owned by Richard Phelps.  The parcel was once part of a large farm which included the colonial era White's Tavern.  Because of the realignment of Route 6 as a WPA project in the 1930's, this parcel was now separated from the farm house that once served as a tavern where the Comte de Rochambeau and his officers dinned on several occasions during the Revolutionary War.  As Mr. Phelps was not raised on the property and rarely visited Andover, it was felt that he might be inclined to sell at a reasonable price.  In the spring of 1949, John H. Yeomans, then club president, sent an inquiry to Mr. Phelps on the Club's behalf.  Mr. Phelps responded that he would be visiting Andover that summer and would discuss matters with the Club during his visit.  Apparently Mr. Phelps did not visit as planned that summer.  Not having heard from Mr. Phelps by November, Mr. Yeomans again sent a letter to him, this time with a concrete offer to buy the property for $1,000.  The letter reads in part:
 
"The Sportsmen's Club has inspected various tracts of land including yours, and it is the opinion of the majority of the members that yours is the best suited to our purposes of any they have looked at.   ...The Club was organized about 5 years ago and the membership is entirely local.   ... It is their aim to get a tract of land where they can erect a small club house, hold trap shoots and hunt.   ...It is very difficult to determine the value of land such as this. The value really depends to the use to which it can be put.  At present it is unproductive, hence from one viewpoint worthless.  It does have some frontage on the main highway, and I believe some wood and timber which give it potential value.  However, the land on the highway is much lower than the surface of the road, and much filling would be required before it could be used for building purposes.  ...A majority of the members present at the last meeting of the club were of the opinion that for the purposes they have in mind a fair value would be $1,000."
 
Mr. Phelps responded in a letter dated February 23, 1950:
 
"... After thinking the matter over, I would be willing to sell the land east of the railroad tracks for $300, making a total of $1,300 for the entire tract.  This would be approximately $10.00 per acre for the land west of the tracks and $20.00 per acre for the easterly land.  It seems to me that that price would be very reasonable.  If you desire to make the payment in two installments, that also would be satisfactory."
 
Upon receipt of Mr. Phelps' letter, the club immediately held a meeting at which they voted to purchase the entire tract of land for $1,300, provided Mr. Phelps would agree to a payment plan as follows: a $100 deposit sent with the Club's acceptance letter, $400 paid within thirty days of delivery of the deed followed by two annual payments of $400 plus interest of 5% on the last two payments.  Mr. Phelps sent a telegram on March 7, 1950 agreeing to the proposed terms.  The transaction was completed quickly as on March 29, 1950, a deed was filed with the Andover and Bolton town clerks transferring Mr. Phelps' property to The Andover Sportmen Club, Inc.  The $800 mortgage was paid off on April 8, 1952.
 
1950s
 
Now that the club had its own land, attention turned to putting in an access road and building a club house.  Ted Wright, a club member, had an excavation and trucking business and agreed to bulldoze a road from the State Road (Route 6) to the railroad right-of-way, where it was planned to build a small club house.  Mr. Wright completed this initial work, 27 hours of bulldozing, in March, 1951 at a cost to the club of $100, well short of his normal rate which would have made the cost $225.  In March of 1952 Mr. Wright was back on the property, this time doing another 23 hours of bulldozing.  Quite possibly excavating the foundation hole for the club house.  The next March, Mr. Wright again shows work done, this time with both his bulldozer and his truck, presumably back filling and grading around the club house foundation.  The club house chimney was completed in October, 1953 at a cost of $385 and CL&P had hooked up electrical service to the club house site by the end of the same year.
 
In a September 1, 1954 letter to the Club membership, President Ted Wright outlined the current club status and a number of changes that would be made to ensure the financial stability of the club and assure that members are treated fairly as the club now had substantial assets and liabilities.  Points in the letter are:
• The club now owns about 120 acres of land in Andover and Bolton
• The Club House is nearing completion
• The property is now subject to a $3,000 mortgage, the proceeds of which has gone to purchase materials for the club house
• It is estimated that the club has property valued at approximately $6,000 or $3,000 more than the club owes
• Since there are about 30 members, each members interest in the club is about $100
• The club needs additional funds to complete the club house.
• A new corporation will be formed to own the club's current assets
• The new corporation will lease the land and facilities back to the club
• The new corporation will be a stock company and will issue $3,000 in par value of stock
• Each member in good standing of the club may purchase $100 of par value stock for $25
• The stock in the new corporation is only transferrable to another member of the owner's immediate family, unless it has first been offered for sale to the club at its then book value.
 
The plan as outlined above was approved and the new "Andover Sportsmen Club, Inc" was recognized by the State of Connecticut on November 3, 1954.  The new corporation's first meeting was held November 26, 1954.  Officers elected at that meeting were: President, John H. Yeomans; Vice President, Ted Wright; Secretary Joe Carter; and Treasurer John Phelps.  A total of 28 club members bought 10 shares each of the new corporation's stock.  The club property was transferred to the new corporation on January 29, 1955.  While the influx of funds from the stock sale temporarily addressed the club's financial issues, it wasn't long before these issues were the main order of business for the club once again.
 
In October, 1958, the presidents of the Club and the Corporation were once again writing the membership and the stock holders about financial matters.  They noted that the club had a balance in its checking account of about $100, but had immediate obligations of over $600.  Four proposals were put forth to address this financial short fall and to deal with future anticipated expenses: 1) Terminate the Club, sell the property, pay what is owed and distribute what remained to the share holders; 2) Sell more stock 3) Start a program of activities to generate sufficient funds to cover costs (it was noted that this had been attempted in the past with no success); and 4) Assess all members an annual fee sufficient to meet all expenses.  At the annual meeting of the stock holders, held March 22, 1959, it was approved to offer for sale an additional 400 shares of stock at $10 per share.  Each current stock holder would be eligible to purchase up to 14 shares of the newly issued stock.  Stock could be paid for over 10 months at $1 per share per month.
 
1960s
 
Beginning in the late 1950s and continuing into the early 1960s, the "Club" aspect of the Andover Sportsmen's Club was virtually non-existent.  As a result, there was no income to pay the property taxes, the insurance and to service the debts of the corporation.  This situation caused the corporation directors to once again put forth several proposals to deal with the lack of funds.  This time all of the proposals centered on disposing of the assets and dissolving the corporation.  The asset disposal recommendations included: 1) sell the property on the open market; 2) sell the property to members who will assume all responsibility for paying the bills; and 3) offer the property to the newly formed Town Recreation Council for community use.  At this time, there were 496 shares of stock outstanding, held by 28 individuals.  At the meeting held on September 25, 1962 to consider the proposals listed above, 15 shareholders were present.  All but one of the attendees were of the opinion that the Club and the Corporation should continue at all costs.  A motion was made to sell more stock to sustain the corporation until such time as the Club could be reactivated..  It was suggested that if enough funds could be raised to pay off the mortgage, the remaining carrying cost would be manageable.  $2,000 would be needed to pay the current indebtedness, including paying off the mortgage.  Stock was offered at $10 per share and restricted to a 1 share for each 2 shares already owned basis.
 
While the corporation dealt with the financial aspects of keeping the property and club house, some of the members went about trying to reactivate the Club.  On October 26, 1962, Club President Steve Ursin, Carl Stiens and others held a meeting at the club house.  The notice reads "If you are interested in any type of sports, such as Archery, Hunting, Fishing, Kennel Clubs, Rifle Clubs, Trap Shooting, Softball - - -  Won't you please come and bring a friend?" 
 
Apparently this reinvigoration attempt didn't stick as a new group led by Alvin Skoog, Bill Dunnack , L. Ed Whitcomb, Bill Harriman  and others held a meeting at the Old Town Hall in November, 1966 to form a new sportsmen's group.  A December 1, 1966 newspaper article mentions that the new group had 45 members and were seeking more.  The plan was to lease the property of the Andover Sportmen's Club, Inc.  To that end, Mr. Skoog contacted the corporation directors about using their facilities.  Initial discussions at the October, 1966 corporation meeting was to offer the facilities for lease to the new group for $600 per year.  But by the end of the meeting, the decision was to postpone action on the part of the corporation and to let the new group make a proposal.  Mr. Whitcomb reported to the next meeting of the corporation that the new group was offering $400 per year.  It was stated that the group would rather go elsewhere than pay $600 per year.  Mr. Whitcomb also reported that he was trying to secure glass to repair the club house windows, that the wiring had been repaired so that the lights are working now, that brush had been cut and that trap shooting had commenced at the club house.  By the end of this January, 1967 meeting, the corporation had agreed to lease its facilities to the new group for $400 per year, "as is," with the club paying the liability insurance.  A formal one year lease was prepared and executed.  This "new" group, is the club that continues to this day.
 
The club continued to make repairs and improvements to the club house and grounds though out 1967, including the installation of the club house's first septic system.  A club newsletter was begun, dues were $10 per year with new members paying a $5 initiation fee, and the Board of Directors could spend up to $25 without membership approval.  Trap shooting was a regular activity.  At the time, the trap was a hand cocked machine, bolted to a stump just outside of the club house.  The Club's first Annual Meeting was held January 16, 1968 at Willie's Steak House in Manchester.  In February, 1968 the Club began giving a monthly trophy to the person that broke the highest percentage of clay pigeons out of 50 or more shot that month.  The twelve monthly winners would then participate in a shoot off to determine the annual trophy winner.

Trap shooting was improved in 1968 with the purchase of an electric trap to replace the manual machine.  Shortly after the purchase of the new trap, the club constructed the first trap house on the property (now the barbeque pit behind the lower club house).  Lights soon appeared, allowing shooting to continue after sun down.  Tuesday night was established as the only night that after dark shooting would take place.
 
The end of 1968 also brought a new lease with the property owners.  This time the lease was for 5 years, with the rent set at $600 per year.  This amount would not only cover the current corporation expenses, but would allow the corporation to pay down its outstanding debts. 
 
The cost of a round of trap in 1968 was $1.25
 
 
1970s
 
The early 1970s was a busy time for the club.  In 1971 the club cleared and bulldozed its first rifle range, as well as built a 20ft by 12ft shelter there.  This was the first facility constructed on the south side of the railroad tracks.  Concrete pathways were poured on the trap field behind the club house, the upstairs of the club house was refinished and the club house electrical service was upgraded to 200amps.  The club's first official trap league was held in the fall (the fall 2011 league is the eightieth league).  This same year the Board of Directors felt it was necessary to outlaw gambling on shooting, which apparently had become quite prevalent, and to outlaw all gambling on shooting nights.  The year closed with the property owners approving the installation of a second trap field and a storage shed.  Membership at the time cost $18 annually, with a $36 initiation fee.
 
By the middle of 1972, the second trap field was up and running.  The new field was constructed between the rifle range and the railroad tracks.  A new tap machine was purchased for this field at a cost of $600.  This new field was arranged such that some of the birds were actually thrown over the railroad tracks.  About the same time that the new field came into use, it was decided to pay members that worked the trap house $1 per round.  At this time, the “trap boys” duty was to place a clay pigeon onto the trap arm.  Cocking and tripping the trap were automated.
 
A new 5 year lease between the club and the property owners took effect in January, 1973.  This new least was virtually identical to the 1968 lease with rent set at $600 per year plus the club would be responsible for all property taxes.  This same year, the club agreed to approach the property owners about putting an addition on the club house.  The idea of expanding the building was quite controversial as the club would be expending considerable effort and expense on something they did not own.  Permission was received for the club to proceed with their plans for an addition that would measure 18ft x 28ft, roughly doubling the size of the building.  Excavation for the foundation began in early October.  Blasting was necessary to complete the excavation, but this did not cause much of a delay as the foundation was poured and ready to be capped for the winter by November 10th.  With members providing the labor and much of the needed materials, the addition was completed in 1974.
 
The cost of a round of trap in 1974 was increased to $1.50
 
Club dues were raised for 1975 to $20, and the initiation fee was raised to $22.  By mid-1975, the club was concerned that membership growth was overloading the facilities, so it was decided to cap the membership at 150 senior members, which was the membership level at the time.
 
With the current lease about to expire, the club approached the property owners in early 1977 about the possibility of the club acquiring the property.  As a result, Dick Selig Realty was engaged to appraise the assets of ASC Inc (the owners). so that a fair price could be set for the owners stock and the property as a whole.  The appraisal came in at $88,500 or $18,500 for the building, and $70,000 for the land.  Feeling that this appraisal was on the low side, but also recognizing that the club had made a considerable investment in expanding and refurbishing the club house, the owners offered the club the property for $90,000.  At the same time, after considering the costs associated with selling the property and the fact that the stock provided no income to its holder, the owners set the value of the 694 outstanding shares of ASC, Inc. stock at $75 per share.  In October, the club officially notified the owners that they would not be able to buy the property at that time, but that there were a number of members that would like to buy any stock that the owners might offer for sale.  By the end of the year, club members held 63 of the 694 outstanding shares of ASC, Inc.  Since the club was not in a position to purchase the property at this time, a new 5 year lease was executed.  The new lease stipulated that the club would pay $300 per year in rent as well as being responsible for paying all taxes and carrying adequate insurance.
 
The cost of a round of trap in 1976 was increased to $1.75
 
1980s
 
The early 1980s saw the club more determined than ever to gain ownership of the ASC, Inc. property.  A committee was established to meet with the owners to discuss options for taking ownership of the land.  The club reported having $10,000 in its building fund that could be used to get things moving.  At the first meeting between the club’s committee and the owners, it was agreed to get a new appraisal of the property done.  The club prepared a list of potential appraisers, from which the committee and the owners agreed to hire the John F. Rowlson Company to do the work.  Early in 1981 the appraisal was delivered and gave the property a market value of $118,500.  But as the work was not done per the instructions given, neither the club nor the owners were happy with it.  Without any new useful information, the club went to the owners with an offer to buy all of the shares that club members did not already own at $75 per share, effectively valuing the property at $52,050.  The majority owners simply replied “no.”  Not to be deterred, the club next decided to try and appeal directly to the individual stock holders with an offer of $125 per share.  The club got three responses, two “no’s” and one “ok, but at $150 per share.”  The club committee persisted and by October, the majority owners had agreed to allow the club and its members to purchase as much stock as they could at $125 per share, with the understanding that a small group of the original share holders would retain a controlling interest in ASC, Inc. until such time as the club could buy all of their stock at once.
 
In 1980, following the death of long time member Ray Stanizzi, the club created the Ray Stanizzi Memorial Fund.  This is a fund to benefit the families of deceased active members.  This fund was set up to have a maximum value of $1,000, with payouts from the fund being made upon the authorization of any club officer.  Each year a benefit shoot is held to support the fund.  1980 was also the year that the club approved a by-laws change that moved the club from directly electing its officers, to instead electing an eleven member Board of Directors.  The BOD then chose a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer from among their number.  The BOD is to run the club collectively, with each board member chairing at least one club committee.  At this time the Club raised the membership limit to 200.  The next year brought an increase in the membership fees.  Dues were raised to $30 per year which was to be split between the general fund - $20 and the building fund - $10.  The initiation fee was also set at $30 and was to be split the same way between the two funds.  It was further decided that the amount of general receipts going to the building fund would be reduced from 15% to 8%.
 
On January 1, 1983 a new property lease went into effect.  The annual rent would be $500 plus the club was responsible for taxes and insurance.  This lease was a bit different than the previous ones in that this lease had a specific buyout provision.  The club could buy the property out right for $100,000 in 1983, for $105,000 in 1984 and for $110,000 in 1985.  The stock price was held at $125 per share, with club members now holding 126 shares or a little over 18% of the outstanding shares.  Club members continued to purchase stock throughout 1984 and 1985, accumulating a total of 259 shares by December of 1985.  At this time the same group of original share holders that held the other 435 shares, sold all but 28 shares to the club and its members at $155 per share.  The club itself purchased 290 share.  The 28 shares not sold to the club were distributed by the original holders to their descendants.
 
1984 brought about a name change for the club.  I was decided that the name of the club should be "Andover Sportman's Club, Inc."  Having assumed the credentials of the original club, instead of filing as a new group in 1966, the official name of the club had been "The Andover Sportmen Club, Incorporated."  
 
Now that the club and its members held most of the shares of stock in A.S.C. Incorporated, the club decided to make is a requirement that each member must own at least one share of the stock in order to renew their membership for 1987.  This was necessary to replenish the club treasury as the clubs funds were all tied up in the stock that it held.  By requiring each member to own a share, the amount of stock that the club was holding would be reduced thus freeing the capital for other projects.  
 
The cost of a round of trap in 1987 was increased to $2.00.
 
In 1987, A.S.C., Inc. did a land swap with the owners of Andover Self Storage principals as it was found that a significant portion of the club house parking lot was not owned by A.S.C., Inc.  After some discussions, it was determined that the Andover Self Storage principals needed to access the electrical power lines that run on the A.S.C., Inc. property.  The club agreed to allow access to the power lines if the Andover Self Storage principals agreed to swap the parking lot land for some land along the power lines and to pay the club a $2,000 fee.
 
1988 was a year great change for the club.  In January the BOD approved the recommendation of the Trap Field Relocation Committee as to the selection of a site to build a new set of fields.  The land was cleared and by December the foundation of the new (upper) club house was poured and capped.  The club also voted to spend $4,500 to improve the rifle range.  A contract was signed with Countryside Homes to do the bulldozing for the range.  Almost immediately solid ledge was encountered.  This led to the need to hire a second contractor to finish the job and made the final cost of the project $7,030, or $2,350 over the initial budget.  To help pay for the new trap fields, new club house and other improvements, the club signed a contract with the Rossi Corporation to have the property logged.  This contract added $23,186 to the treasury.  Along with these activities, the club decided to implement a work requirement for members.  Beginning in 1989, members would be required to provide 12 hours of work toward the good of the club, or pay double dues.  It was also decided that beginning with 1989 dues would be raised to $50, from $40.
 
The 1980s closed with the club making its first honorary members.  Paul Prevost, Jack Woodward and Pete Falkowich were so honored for their exceptional service rendered to the club.  By the end of 1989, it was also reported that work on the new club house had progressed to the point where the building had a roof.

 

1990s

The 1990s began with the club being notified by Ct DEP that it had 9 months to cease shooting over the railroad right-of-way.  This deadline was met as effective September 30, 1990, all trap shooting was moved to the new fields by the upper club house.  Progress continued to be made on the upper club house, including CL&P bringing power to the building, the installation of a wood stove and the drilling of a well.  The building was considered completed in late 1991.

Dues and fees for 1992 were, Dues $60, initiation fee $60, land acquisition fee $80 and an additional $60 would be due for those members that didn't meet the 12 hour work rule.  1992 also brought discussion of installing a skeet field.  This plan was abandoned in 1993 as there was not sufficient interest to justify the considerable expense that building a field would involve.

There were a number of proposed by-laws and rule changes were presented in 1994.  One proposal was to change the by-laws to allow for women to be members in their own right.  At the time, women were members only by being a part of a male members family.  This proposal failed when it came to a vote in 1995. Women would not be able to apply for out-right membership for a few more years.  Also related to women's participation, was a proposal to eliminate the club rule stating "Ladies are not permitted to visit the Club on Tuesday night."  This also failed to gain approval at the time.  The one by-law change that did garner approval was the establishment of a "Life Member" category of membership.  The granting of Life Member status would be decided by the BOD and could be awarded to those members that had at least 20 consecutive years of membership and had contributed significantly to the club.  The Life Membership designation exempts the holder from paying further dues and meeting the work requirement.

In 1996, the club once again contracted with the Rossi Corporation to have its property logged.  The club received $13,024 as a result of the harvest.  The club allocated these funds to the kitchen expansion fund.

 

Land Purchase

Deciding to take a more pro-active approach to acquiring additional land, in 1997, the club contacted Mr. Barger, a neighboring land owner, about the possibility of purchasing all or some of his land.  Mr. Barger came to the September meeting and offered his land to the club for $3,000 an acre.  This would value his 127 acres at $381,000.  Just the land thought to be in Andover, 55 acres,  would cost $165,000.  Talks continued over the years.  In 1999 the club had the property appraised.  This appraisal put the value of the property at $750 per acre or $92,250.   Finally, in 2003, the club purchased 49.3 acres on the northwest side of its existing property, from Mr. Barger for a little less than $200,000   This purchase, combined with the origin purchase made in the 1950s and the land swap made in the 1980s constitutes the clubs 137.8 acres at the present time (2011).

During the summer/fall  of 1999, a new building was erected at the Rifle/Pistol range (the current building - 2011).  This is also the year that the first voice activated release system was purchased for one of the trap fields, cost $995.  The system was such a hit that a second system was purchased almost immediately.  

 

 

2000s

In 2004, the name of the ASC stock corporation was changed from "A.S.C. Incorporated" to "ASC Real Estate, Inc."  This is also the year that the club began leasing a small portion of the property near the upper club house to SNET Co. for the erection and operation of a cell tower.

In 2009, it was decided to ban smoking in the club houses and the membership limit was raised to 250.  The first automatic defibrillator was purchased by the club this year.  Since then, two more defibrillators have been purchased.  Each of the club houses has one, as does the Rifle/Pistol range building. 

 

2010s
  • Pistol Range
  • Truck
  • Tractor
  • Skeet House

 

Activities 

 

 

 
Annual Picnic 

 

The first family picnic sponsored by the club was held at the Glastonbury Elks Club in 1969.  The club has held picnics almost every year since.  Today, picnics are held in conjunction with the Stanizzi memorial Fund Shoot.

  

 

 

 
Trap League

 

The first organized 16 yd. Trap League was begun in September, 1971.  There were thirty shooters divided into three classes.  The league ran for 20 weeks, culminating in a celebratory banquet. 
 
 
 
 
 
"Shot Gun Affaye" Dance
 On March 31, 1973, the club held the first of many dances.  Annual dances continued until 1983 when that years dance was cancelled due to a lack of interest.
 
 
Junior Day
 
Wanting to promote the shooting s ports and gun safety to the community youth, on June 2, 1974, the club held the first of several Junior Days.  Well over 100 kids and adults attended this event.
 
Family Day
 
ASC vs Hartford Gun Club
 
 
Bowling
 
 
Flag Football / Softball

 

 

Ray Stanizzi Memorial Fund shoot
 
The Ray Stanizzi Memorial fund was established in August, 1980.  The fund is to provide assistence to the families of deseased club members.  An annual trap shoot is held to benefit this fund.  The fund is to have a balance of no more than $1,000.  Funds can be dispersed at the direction of any Club Officer/Director.

 

 

Black Powder League

 

Sometime prior to 1980, a black powder league was started.
 
 
 
ATA Shoots

 

 

 

Boy Scouts

 

On June 12, 1983, the Club hosted Andover Boy Scout Troop #124 for a weapons safety demonstration and target shoot.  The Boy Scouts were hosted several more times during the 1980s.
 
 
Benefit Shoots 
 
On the weekend of June 4th and 5th, 1984, the first of many benefits shoots was sponsored by the Club.  This first shoot benefited the Newington Children's Hospital.  The shoot raised $2,200 for the hospital.  This shoot was attended by Governor William O'Neill's wife Nikki as well as several well know media personalities.
 
On May 17th, 1992, a shoot was held to benefit the Trooper Russell Bagshaw Memorial Fund.  The shoot was attended by former Governor William O'Neill, Brad Davis (radio personality), Sebastion (radio personality), and many others.
 
On June 6, 1993, the first of a series of "William O'Neill Governor's Cup Challenge - New England Sportsman's Benefit" shoots was held.  This shoot, and the next 2 the shoots benefited the Fidelco Guide Dog association.  The 1994 shoot raised $800 to support the training of guide dogs for the blind.  The 1995 shoot raised $600.  The 1996 shoot benefited The 100 Club of Connecticut, with over $1,100 being raised at that shoot.  The 1997 Governor's Cup Challenge supported the St. Patrick/St. Anthony AIDS ministry, with nearly $1,000 raised for this cause.  The 1998 shoot benefited AHM (Andover, Hebron, Marlborough) Youth Services.  The 1998 shoot was the last shoot to involve Governor O'neill.
 
1995 was a busy year for benefit shoots.  One was held in April to support Special Olympics.  In May, a shoot was held to raise funds for the Friends of Hartford Mounted Police and then the 3rd shoot to support Fidelco was held in June.
 
Sporting Clays
 
In 1991 it was voted to spend up to $2,000 to buy two portable trap machines, crushed stone, and railroad ties to set up a course.
 
 
Rilfe / Pistol League

 

Golf
 
An ASC Golf tournoment was held on Nov. 3, 2003.  This event had 22 ASC golfers and 9 others.
 
Andover Shooting Day
 
In Oct. 1991, the club held a "Andover Shooting Day."  The event was open to all residents.
 
 
Archery
 
In 1998, the club approved spending up to $5,000 to set up a 3D archery course.  This included the purchase of approximately $3,500 of 3D targets.  The course was completed and the first open shoot was held in August of that year.